Friday, October 14, 2016

German Wheat (Batch #44)

This is a beer I threw together to make use of some German Hefeweizen yeast that was about to expire. I took almost no notes but I figured I'd make note of the brew for the record. My buddy Mike and I had a joint brew day in his back yard. Mike brewed an American wheat and I brewed this German wheat.

Recipe Notes
Style: German Wheat
Batch Volume: 4.5 gal.
Color: n/a
Target Bitterness: n/a
Target OG: n/a

Grist
Forgot to record...

Brew Notes
Brew Date: Early summer some time
Mash Temp: 160
Mash Time: 60
Boil Time: 60 min.
Fermenter Volume: 4.33 gal
Measured OG: 11.0 Brix (1.044)

The only abnormal part of this brew day was that my mash temp after dough in stayed at 160F so I decided to mash without wrapping the pot in a sleeping blanket like I usually do. Follwing the 1-hour mash the temp had dropped to 148F.

Since it was pretty hot out I was only able to chill to 88F following the boil. So I took the wort home and put in my chest freezer over night. The temp dropped to 56F by morning so I just decided to pitch then. As you might expect it took a while to get going but fermented down to 1.007. It ended up sitting in the fermenter for a couple of months until a keg opened up in the keezer. I force carbed at 30psi for 48 hours then dropped to 12 psi serving pressure. I love that trick; it carbed up great. It does taste pretty thin and very attenuated but there's definitely a hefe-yeast character there. Not a super great beer but it tastes OK when it's hot out.

No comments:

Post a Comment